Skip to navigation
Jonathan Concha Prestige Pediatrics, Filed 2008
-Jonathan Concha Prestige Pediatrics, Filed 2008

Professional Corporation

Experience the iCorp Advantage

  • Quick and Easy Application Process
  • Access to Business Solutions
  • One-On-One Customer Support
Start Your Professional Corp Today Get Started


A Professional Corporation (PC) or Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC) is an entity intended for individuals needing a state license to practice in their field. The advantages and entity characteristics are the same between PC’S and PLLC’S as with corporations and LLC’s.

Examples of PC’s and PLLC’s

What classifies a business as a Professional Service Business differs based on State Laws. Here are a few examples of Professional Service Businesses:

  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Dentists
  • Doctors
  • Lawyers
  • Physical Therapists

Why PC or PLLC is right for my business

State laws dictate whether or not your company is classified as a Professional Service business. Here are some additional steps to complete when filing for a PC or PLLC:

  1. Getting your state licensing body approved of for the PC or PLLC for the owner’s or owner’s profession.
  2. Incorporation documents must be signed as an incorporator or organizers by a licensed professional.
  3. Since state guidelines vary, iCorp will file the documents with appropriate state agencies and address any additional requirements and/or approvals based on your state filings.

PC and PLLC Differences

  • Professional Service Businesses are typically taxed differently than regular corporations, imposing a flat tax on all earnings.
  • The PLLC entity is not recognized in all states.

How It Works

Now that you have decided a professional corporation best fits your business needs, here is how it works:

  • Select a name and we will check to see if it is available.
  • Choose the state where you wish to file your entity.
  • Determine whether or not you wish iCorp to acquire your EIN and perform the Registered Agent Service.
  • Allocate corporate officers.

These four tasks can all be accomplished by filling out our fast and easy filing application. The fees associated with each product and service will be listed in your order summary and throughout the application.

Our online application will track your status as you proceed and will also save all the information populated page by page. After the application has been submitted you will receive a confirmation e-mail with your order status and summary.

If we have questions or concerns, we simply give you a follow up call to clarify.

Again, help is only a phone call away. Give one of our knowledgeable representatives a call to assist you with your order: 1-866-689-3989

What are the differences between Professional Corporations (PC’s) / Professional Limited Liability Corporations (PLLC’s) and regular Corporations / Limited Liability Companies?

The difference between PC’s / PLLC’s and regular C-Corp’s, S-Corp’s and LLC’s is that PC’S and PLLC’s are organized for the purpose of providing professional services. State laws determine what classifies a business as a PC or PLLC. Typically, these professions require a license. Here are some examples of PC’s and PLLC’s: Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Architects, and Engineers.

How are PC’s and PLLC’s Formed?

PC’s and PLLC’s are formed similarly to C-Corp’s, S-Corp’s and LLC’s; by filing the Articles of Incorporation or the Articles of Organization with the state. However, with PC’s and PLLC’s, the proper state licensing body must approve the incorporating documents before filing the entity with the Secretary of State.

What additional steps does it take to file a PC or PLLC?

After the incorporating documents are approved by the state, the signature and license number of a licensed professional as the incorporator must be filed with the state. Due to these additional requirements, filing times for PC’s and PLLC’s can be delayed.

Who can be a shareholder or director in a PC or PLLC?

The majority of states restrict who may be a shareholder or director of a PC or PLLC. For example, some states require more than 50% of the shareholders and directors to be a licensed professional in the profession in which they are operating. Other states require all shareholders or directors to be licensed professionals on the profession in which they are operating.

What Is the SS4/EIN/Tax ID Number?

An EIN (Employee Identification Number) or Federal Tax ID Number is issued by the IRS to identify your company federally. An EIN is used when filing tax returns, hiring employees, opening a bank account in the company name, creating a trust or pension, and is a requirement for LLC and Corporations.

If you are a sole proprietor, your SSN can suffice as an EIN for all official documents and government forms.

What Is a Registered Agent and Do I Need One?

Almost every state requires a corporation or an LLC to maintain a Registered Agent. The Registered Agent address accepts legal and official documents including, but not limited to: franchise tax notices, annual reports, official legal notices (such as a court summons), and more on your company’s behalf. If a Registered Agent is not designated, this may infringe on the company’sability to gain access to stet courts and legally enter into contracts.

Back to top